Help In A Crisis

Help In A Crisis

If you are concerned about your own or another person’s immediate safety, call the University Police at 404-413-3333 on campus and 911 if you are off campus.

If you need to speak with a mental health professional and you are a student in crisis…
The Counseling and Testing Center is open for emergencies from 8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday, Thursday and Friday and 8:30 a.m. – 7 p.m. on Tuesday and Wednesday. If you are a student in a crisis during our business hours, call the Counseling and Testing Center at 404-413-1640 or come to the Center at 75 Piedmont Ave., NE, Suite 200 A, and ask for the on-call counselor.  You will be asked to complete some paperwork. However, if you feel unable to do so because you are in such significant distress, you may complete it later.

If you need help during the Counseling and Testing Center’s off-hours, call 911 or the 24 hour mental health crisis line at 800-715-4225.

(Click here for more information about coping with traumatic stress and traumatic events)

Battered Women’s Shelters/Domestic Violence Centers (by county)
All Areas: Partnership Against Domestic

Violence Crisis Line (800) 33HAVEN
Clayton County 770-961-7233
Cobb County 770-427-3390 
Decatur: International Women’s House   770-413-5557 
Dekalb County
(Women’s Resource Ctr to End Domestic Violence):
(emergency shelter—Fairhaven Inn)


Douglas County (Share House)  770-489-7513 
Douglas County (Share House)  770-949-0626 
Fayette County: aka “Promise Place” 


Fulton County (Partnership Against Domestic Violence)  404-873-1766 
Gwinnett County (Partnership Against Domestic Violence) 770-963-9799
Metro Atlanta: YWCA (metro Atlanta): Cascade Family House Shelter   404-752-6199 
Metro Atlanta: Raksha, Inc.: Serves persons from South Asia
(Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Pakistan, Nepal, and Sri Lanka)

Helpful Websites and Online Resources
Coping with the War and Terrorism: Tips for College Students
More information and first-hand accounts of depression, suicide, and other personal issues

If you are a faculty or staff member and are concerned about a distressed student…
On-call counselors are available to consult with you during regular business hours.  If you are concerned about a student please call the Counseling and Testing Center 404-413-1640 and ask to speak with the senior on-call counselor for a consultation.