The COMPASS college placement test helps educators:
- Quickly evaluate incoming students’ skill levels in Reading, Writing Skills, Writing Essay, Math and English as a Second Language
- Place students in appropriate courses
- Connect students to the resources they need to achieve academic success
Applicants to Perimeter College at Georgia State University must take the COMPASS unless exempted by specific criteria (other test scores, transfer credit, etc.)
To review criteria that might exempt you from testing or if you want to know more about how scores are used for Placement purposes, please check with the Learning Support Program.
If you have COMPASS scores from another school, check with Admissions to see if you can use those scores or not.
COMPASS may be taken at any of the Perimeter College at Georgia State University campuses (Alpharetta, Clarkston, Decatur, Dunwoody and Newton) or at an off campus site for online students who live beyond commuting distance to one of the campuses. Students requesting test sites outside of the Atlanta perimeter must contact Testing Services to schedule a testing site prior to testing. Students must test at a University System of Georgia institution in Georgia, or if out of state, an approved testing site. All sites must be submitted on the COMPASS Placement or Exit Request Form and submitted to the Testing Services in a timely manner. The COMPASS test is not offered online.
Retesting is available for applicants as long as they have an active application. COMPASS retesting does not apply to COMPASS English as a Second Language placement testing. Immediately after testing, an applicant may choose to take a placement retest, subject to the following stipulations:
- A COMPASS retest is allowed, no earlier than one day after the initial placement test, in all subject areas where college-level placement was not achieved.
- After the first retest, students may retest again only after 30 days have passed from the last retest.
- Applicants who choose to retest must do so in one sitting for all subject areas in which they wish to retest.
- Test scores in subject areas where college-level placement was not achieved are no longer valid after one year.
- Placement or admissions will be determined by the combination of the best valid scores between the placement test and placement retest(s).
- Once coursework is started, a student is no longer eligible for a placement retest. Students who start coursework may start the testing cycle over after one year from their last semester of attendance.
Requirements for COMPASS
In order to take the COMPASS, a student needs the following:
- A test fee of $20 (for one, two or three areas) for both an initial placement test and retest at Perimeter College campus testing centers. Fees at other locations will vary.
- An appointment with a testing center
- Valid government issued photo identification
Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)
Testing information, including COMPASS scores, is not part of the Directory Information, as set forth in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.