Incoming Freshman and Transfer Students
A math placement test is required for all students who need or desire to enroll in a math course higher than Math 1101. All freshman and transfer students who need or desire to take a math course higher than Math 1101 must register for the Math Placement Test through their PAWS account prior to New Student Orientation and should not attend walk in math placement test dates. To determine if a major requires the math placement test, visit Academic Advisement.
Students who experience difficulty registering through PAWS should contact the Technology Help Desk at 404-413-4357.
Students who require only Math 1101 for their major do not have to take the math placement test. It is recommended that the math placement test be taken before attending New Student Orientation. There is no fee to take the test the first time.
For more information regarding this requirement, visit New Student Orientation or contact the coordinator for math placement at 404-413-1736.
Freshman Learning Communities
Freshmen Learning Community students intending to choose a learning community with Math 1111 must take the placement test before attending New Student Orientation and earn the appropriate score required for Math 1111 or higher.
Description of Test
Georgia State University uses the ACCUPLACER exam (designed by the College Board) as a math placement exam to help accurately place students in college math courses. The test administered at Georgia State University may include algebra and trigonometry. The number of areas in which a student will be tested will depend upon the student’s level of ability. All students will take items in the area of algebra. The score on the algebra section will determine if a student takes items in the area of trigonometry. ACCUPLACER provides sample questions and a study app.
There is no test fee for taking the math placement test for the first time. However, students must pay $50 to re-take the math placement test on a walk in basis. Effective October 2015, payment will be accepted in the form money order only payable to Georgia State University.
Please visit Walk in or Retaking the Math Placement Test for more information.
- On the day of the test, candidates are to bring either their Panther ID or a non-expired government issued ID with photo.
- Test fee payment of $50 (in the form of money order only) is required if student is retaking the exam (see Test Fee section above).
- Scratch paper will be provided at the exam.
- An online (Windows-based) calculator is provided within the software for this exam. However, students are allowed to use their own calculators. Only basic or scientific stand alone calculators are allowed (i.e., not connected to watches or any other device such as a smartphone). Graphing calculators are not allowed.
- No food or drink (including water) is allowed in the testing labs.
- Cell phones and other electronics must be turned off during the entire testing period.
For information about chemistry placement, please see New Student Orientation.
Current Georgia State University Students
Students already attending Georgia State University do not register to take math placement but should attend one of the walk in math placement sessions held in the Testing office of the Counseling and Testing Center. There is no test fee for taking the math placement test for the first time. However, students must pay $50 to re-take the math placement test on a walk in basis. Effective October 2015, payment will be accepted in the form money order only payable to Georgia State University. Please see the available testing dates and times listed on the Walk in or Retaking the Math Placement Test page.
Please contact Richard Walker at 404-413-1736 with any questions regarding math placement walk-in or retesting.