Scanning & Scoring
Scanning and Scoring Services are located on the 2nd Floor of 75 Piedmont Avenue. This address is at the corner of John Wesley Dobbs and Piedmont Avenue and is presently identified as the Citizens Trust Bank. The building is across Dobbs Avenue from the University Commons, a Georgia State University student housing unit
The Testing Office provides the following Scanning and Scoring services to the University :
I. Scoring of objectively-scored classroom tests
- Output includes the following:
- Alphabetical class listing with individual percentage scores, number of items right, wrong, omitted, and right minus 1/4 wrong.
- Item analysis with frequency of students selecting each response to an item; mean percent correct, mean percent wrong, percentage of students who responded correctly and incorrectly, point biserial correlation coefficient, and discrimination index.
- Grade distribution with mean and standard deviation, frequency and cumulative frequency of percentage scores and percentiles.
- Reliability measures with odd-even, first-half last-half, Kuder-Richardson Formula 20, and standard error of measurement.
- Graph of distribution of percentage scores.
- (Optional) Individual Student Reports which include instructor name, student name and identification number, number of items right, wrong, and omitted, listing of wrong items indicating student responses and keyed responses.
II. Summarizing Questionnaires/Surveys
Analysis of data includes frequency and percentage of each response for every item as well as a mean, standard deviation, and correlation for each item. An overall test mean and standard deviation is also listed. Information for each individual includes total score (for Likert scales), mean, and number omitted.
III. Transferring collected data from optical scanning forms to data files
Data collected on a large variety of optical scanning forms may be transferred in ASCII format to one or more of the following:
- Attached data file to email, or
- A compact disk (CD)
- Information will be provided relative to the data record format.
The Testing Office utilizes the Scantron Opscan Insight 70 scanner. Because not all types of forms are compatible with this machine, it is recommended that users confirm that forms to be used are, indeed, compatible. Two types of general purpose answer sheets which are compatible with the Testing Office hardware are available for purchase through current GSU office vendors as well as through the GSU Bookstore via departmental purchase. Turnaround time for the above services is normally one working day. Forms may be picked up only at 75 Piedmont location- (please do not use Interoffice mail service for sending forms).
Scan forms may be delivered to one of the two following locations:
75 Piedmont Avenue, NE
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 5:15 p.m.(Monday – Friday)
Dean of Students Office
Suite 300, Student Center
Office Hours: 8:30 a.m. – 5:15 p.m. (Monday – Friday)
- Each submission should be placed in a large envelope with an instruction sheet taped to the outside of the envelope.
- Download the Scanning and Test Scoring Requestfor a copy of the instruction sheet.
- Download the Scantron Key Examples for samples of the brown and the blue scan forms we are able to accept for scanning.Each submission should be placed in a large envelope with an instruction sheet taped to the outside of the envelope.
- Each group of scan forms must have a key coded according to preferences. Examples can be obtained at the Testing Office. All scan forms should be arranged so that the tick marks are facing the same way.
- If you wish to pick up the completed score reports yourself, please indicate that on the form and tell the person in the Testing Office to make a note of it in the log book. This will prevent confusion when Graduate Assistants pick up for an entire department.
Regular Processing Schedule:
Forms delivered and logged in by the Testing Center offices by 4:30 p.m., on a regular workday, will be ready within 24 hours.
Processing Schedule For Official Final Examination Days: ** Due to staffing limitations, 9 a.m. turnaround processing is not available during finals week, Fall 2013. We hope to be able to resume this service for Spring 2014. Forms delivered and logged in by the Testing Center offices by 5 p.m., on a regular workday, will be ready by 9 a.m. the next workday.