CLEP Exam Information
Please note: Registering to take a CLEP exam is a two-step process:
- Register for each exam that you wish to take by going to the College Board website.
- Register for each exam that you wish to take at the Georgia State University Counseling and Testing Center by clicking here.
Bring a printed copy of your College Board confirmation on test day. Electronic versions (e.g., on phones, pads, etc.) will not be accepted.
CLEP Exams Offered
(*Exams with an asterisk have an optional handwritten essay portion.)
For further information about the CLEP program (exam descriptions, study information, other locations etc.), visit CLEP – College-Level Examination Program.
Georgia State University CLEP Policy
Georgia State University awards credit for selected CLEP exams (see Georgia State University Approved CLEP Exams below). For credit to be granted, a minimum score of 50 must be achieved.
Please note: CLEP grades will not affect a student’s GPA.
Georgia State University Approved CLEP Exams
|CLEP Exam||GSU Course|
|College Composition Modular and handwritten essay||English 1101|
|English Literature and handwritten essay||English 2120|
|American Literature and handwritten essay||English 2130|
|College French Language||French 2001 & 2002|
|College German Language German||German 2001 & 2002|
|College Spanish Language||Spanish 2001 & 2002|
|American Government||Political Science 1101|
|History of the U.S. I and History of the U.S. II||History 2110|
|Introductory Psychology||Psychology 1101|
|Principles of Macroeconomics||Economics 2105|
|Principles of Microeconomics||Economics 2106|
|Introductory Sociology||Sociology 1101|
|College Algebra||Mathematics 1111|
|College Mathematics||Mathematics 1101|
|Western Civilization I: Ancient Near East to 1648||History 1099|
|Western Civilization II: 1648 to the Present||History 1099|
- For History credit to be granted, both U.S. History I and II exams must be taken.
- The optional essay portion of all English exams is required in addition to the objective portion. Essay exams are reviewed by three readers, and the applicant must receive a grade of “PASS” or better from at least two readers in order to receive course credit.
- If a student scores between 50-53 on the Spanish Foreign Language exams, three semester hours of credit will be awarded for the equivalent of 2001. For a score of 54 or higher, six semester hours of credit will be awarded for the equivalent of 2001-2002. If a student scores between 50-62 on the German exam, three semester hours of credit will be awarded for the equivalent of 2001. For a score of 63 or higher, six semester hours of credit will be awarded. For the French exam, a score of 50-51 will be awarded three semester hours of credit, and scores of 52 or higher will be awarded six semester hours of credit.
- Graduating Seniors: Tests should not be scheduled during the last semester before graduation due to the limited time for course validation and award of credit.
Questions regarding credit acceptance at Georgia State University should be directed to Elaine Jones, Office of Admissions, Sparks Hall at 404-413-2042. Georgia State University students are also encouraged to consult with their academic advisor before registering for a CLEP exam.