Advances in Technology for Mental Health
According to the National Institute of Mental Health, technology has opened a new frontier in mental health support and data collection. Mobile devices like cell phones, smartphones and tablets are giving the public, doctors and researchers new ways to access help, monitor progress and increase understanding of mental wellbeing.
Advantages of Mental Health Apps
Experts believe that technology has a lot of potential for clients and clinicians alike. A few of the advantages of mobile care include:
- Convenience – Treatment can take place anytime and anywhere (e.g., at home in the middle of the night or on a bus on the way to work) and may be ideal for those who have trouble with in-person appointments.
- Anonymity – Clients can seek treatment options without involving other people.
- 24-hour service – Technology can provide round-the-clock monitoring or intervention support.
- Additional Support – Technology can complement traditional therapy by extending an in-person session, reinforcing new skills and providing support and monitoring.
Excitement about the huge range of opportunities has led to a burst of app development. There are thousands of mental health apps available in iTunes and Android app stores, and the number is growing every year. Due to the new breakthrough in mental health technology, there is very little industry regulation and very little information on app effectiveness, which can lead consumers to wonder which services/apps are best.
The Counseling and Testing Center is excited to present WellTrack, a free online tool for all currently enrolled Georgia State University students. WellTrack is a product to promote mental health, based on the substantial base of research supporting the use of computerized cognitive-behavior therapy (CCBT). The program provides access to evidence based online interventions for stress, anxiety and depression in an attempt to improve student mental health before serious issues arise and negatively affect their academic experience and probability of graduating.
What is WellTrack?
- It’s an online tool designed to promote mental health in college students
- Free access to evidence based online interventions for stress, anxiety and depression
- Access to preventative mental health care for all Georgia State University students to improve mental health before serious issues arise and negatively affect their academic experience
- Confidential and Anonymous
- Easy to use, right on your phone or tablet