CLEP & DSST
College Level Examination for Placement (CLEP)
CLEP offers exams that cover specific introductory course content. Consequently, anyone who believes he or she is proficient in an academic subject may take a CLEP test to earn credit.
Please continue to refer to Georgia State University’s COVID-19 site for up to date information from the University.
Testing update (03/17/2021):
On campus testing is available at all campus locations.
All registrations or requests should be done through our campus registration pages at Alpharetta Campus | Atlanta Campus | Clarkston Campus | Decatur Campus | Dunwoody Campus | Newton Campus. Exams are broken into groups and categories, please follow the appropriate exam groups to your exam to register.
Please note the following:
- Masks must be worn at all times. Not only is this required for Georgia State University spaces, due to the nature of proctoring services, and the shape of our spaces, it is impossible to guarantee 6 feet distance at all times from other testers or staff.
- Lockers will still be available, but examinees are highly encouraged to not bring any items to the test center to minimize your need to contact surfaces unnecessarily.
- We are open as an appointment service only. If we schedule tests for a day and no one makes an appointment, we will not open the centers to ensure staff do not add to density on campus.
Regarding Virtual Exams:
- Requests for a virtual test voucher code to launch an exam can be made using the Campus registrations sites listed above, pick “Virtual exams (Online)” instead of “On Campus Exams”
- Please note that virtual appointment request are processed by hand. Requests are processed in the order they are received.
- For ACCUPLACER exams (admissions and Math Placement) proctored through Examity, candidates should check that they meet Examity’s requirements to test. Please note that every exam proctored by Examity has a fee associated with their services. Georgia State University has no control over this.
- Candidates requesting ACCUPLACER testing with Examity should receive one email immediately confirming the request was sent from the RegisterBlast platform. When the request is processed an email from ACCUPLACER with the voucher code used to make an appointment with Examity and to launch the proper exams.
- Problems making an appointment with Examity or with the actual proctoring session should be directed to Examity’s support.
- if you need to retest, please request a new voucher be set up for you.
- There are a limited number of seats available for proctoring virtually through WebEX at Newton Campus.
- For History & Constitution Exams – If you do not have the equipment to complete this exam at home, please email the campus to see about on-campus testing. Note standard proctoring fees will apply for on-campus testing.
The University Advisement Center keeps a list of scores needed to earn credit Georgia State University. Also, Georgia State University students should consult with their academic advisor before registering for a CLEP exam. Information on the exams, test descriptions and CLEP sampler can be found at College Board’s CLEP website.
The first step is to purchase an exam from The College Board.
The second step is to register for an appointment to take the CLEP exam on campus. Proctoring fee will be paid online; instructions will be in the registration.
How to use the Online Registration system
As we get closer to October 1st, dates and times will be added to the Online Registration system. Note:October 8-11 the Testing Centers will be proctoring Online midterms and will have limited seats available.
To view the available test dates and time for an exam via the online registration system, students should follow these steps.
- Pick the campus testing center an appointment is to be made at
- Alpharetta Testing Center
- Clarkston Testing Center
- Decatur Testing Center
- Dunwoody Testing Center
- Newton Testing Center
- Pick CLEP as the exam type under Choose an exam type.
- Pick the CLEP exam to be taken under Choose an Exam Group. Note that when registering for a CLEP exam that requires the “optional essay”, two appointments will need to be made – one for the CLEP exam and one for the essay. For example, a student taking CLEP College Composition Modular would need to make an appointment for CLEP College Composition Modular and CLEP College Composition Modular Handwritten Essay to get credit at Georgia State University. Georgia State University students unclear as to which exam to take should consult their advisor.
- Use the Choose a Date and Choose a Time sections to see all of the open dates and times currently available at Atlanta Campus.
Dates and times are added throughout the year to accommodate students’ schedules. After completing the above steps, students may complete a registration for any open date and time by providing the remaining information that the system will ask for:
- Providing the examinee’s name and email.
- Reading and acknowledging the guidelines.
- Providing any additional information asked for (varies by exam).
For students outside the metro Atlanta area, to locate a testing center visit College Board. CLEP testing is also available at the Atlanta Campus but registration and fees are handled differently there.
The total cost for each CLEP exam is currently $114 effective July 1, 2018.
- $89 payable by credit card to College Level Examination Program to the College Board
- $25 payable online via the Testing Fee Portal. Note: Testing fees are non-refundable and non-transferable. The Perimeter College testing centers do not accept test fees directly. Appointments should be made before paying fees through the online portal link, as some fees are processed at the time of your registration for your appointment. All other Fees should be paid online via our online fee portal. Please read the information and then click the “Testing Fees” box to enter the portal. You will see the current fees displayed at the top of this second page. To choose your which exam you have made an appointment for, and thus pay the relevant fees, scroll down and click “Add to Cart”. You would only need to change the amount if you are taking multiples of the same test (say two CLEP exams). Continue by providing the information asked for. For a quick overview of using the portal, please review “How to use the Testing Fee Portal”. Examinees unable to pay their fees online should contact the campus before making appointment to see if alternatives are available.
Please Note: Effective July 1, 2019, the new CLEP exam fee is $89.
Please note: Questions regarding processing of AP, IB and CLEP exams scores at Georgia State University should be directed to Greg Embry, Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org. For currently enrolled students, please contact your academic advisor to discuss how these credits will apply to your degree and to consult with them prior to registering for a CLEP exam.
Requesting CLEP scores
The College Board is the only source for CLEP scores. Therefore to request official CLEP scores, test takers must visit College Board. Counseling and Testing services does not receive CLEP scores.
DANTES Subject Standardized Tests (DSST)
Atlanta and Dunwoody campuses offer DSST. However Georgia State University does not grant credit for them. To request official DSST scores, please visit the DSST website. Those interested in taking the test at the Dunwoody location, please email. For testing at Atlanta campus, please view their webpage.