Psychiatric Services

Psychiatric Services

Psychiatric Services: Medical Evaluation and Monitoring
Psychiatric services are one of the treatment options available to Georgia State University students through the Counseling Center. The Counseling Center has a number of part time psychiatrists on staff available to serve students. The best care is possible when the therapist and the prescribing practitioner have an ongoing working relationship used on the student’s behalf. Students who receive psychiatric services at the Counseling Center must be in counseling at either the Counseling Center or the Georgia State University Psychology Clinic. Psychiatric appointments will move online beginning March 30th due to COVID-19.   Please call 404-413-1640 to schedule a telepsychiatry appointment.

The Georgia State University Counseling Center will offer a referral to off-campus psychiatric providers if it is determined that we cannot meet your psychiatric needs. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • Individuals who are not interested in pursuing counseling at the Counseling Center or the Georgia State University Psychology Clinic.
  •  Individuals who are not attending psychiatric and/or therapy appointments as recommended by their provider.
  • Individuals who require ongoing psychiatric stabilization, intensive treatment, complex medication management or specialized services.
  • Individuals who are receiving counseling services or psychiatric services from an outside provider and do not wish to transfer those services to the Counseling Center.
  • Individuals who have longer term or specialized counseling needs that cannot be met by the Counseling Center.
  • Individuals who want to begin or transfer ADHD medication management to the Counseling Center and do not have the required documentation.

Transferring Medication and Medication Monitoring to the Counseling Center
More and more students are coming to the university already being treated with medications. The Counseling Center would like to be able to assist students with their medications, but some preparation is needed to transfer care here.

Even if students are doing well on medications at present, Counseling Center professional staff need to get to know students and their counseling and psychiatric needs before assuming responsibility for prescribing or monitoring medication. This process starts with an initial consultation with a clinician. Some students will be referred for services within the Counseling Center, while others may benefit most from the resources available with other providers in the community.

At the time of the initial evaluation, students will be asked to sign a release of information form to obtain treatment records from their previous physician or therapist. The Counseling Center will mail or fax this request promptly, but it may take several weeks to obtain the records, as this depends on the response time of the former physician or therapist. Students who have been formally evaluated for attention deficit disorder or attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADD or ADHD) or have other documentation (i.e. hospital discharge summaries, other psychological testing results etc.) will be asked by the Counseling Center to sign a release of information form in order to obtain copies for our records. Please keep in mind that all records must be reviewed prior to being accepted for medication monitoring.

Students who are currently taking medication and are running low should contact their former physician to ask for a prescription to be phoned to their local pharmacy. They should inform the physician they are attempting to transfer their services to the Counseling Center and request a four week supply of medication. Students who are taking medication that cannot be called into a local pharmacy should request that a prescription be mailed to them.

Please note: The Counseling Center cannot refill prescriptions written by other psychiatrists. The Counseling Center does not accept automatic refill requests faxed from pharmacies.