A math placement test is used to place students directly into College Algebra (MATH 1111), College Trigonometry (MATH 1112), Precalculus (MATH 1113), Survey of Calculus (MATH 1220), Calculus for the Life Sciences I (MATH 2201), Calculus of One Variable I (MATH 2211) or Discrete Mathematics (MATH 2420). This exam should be taken prior to New Student Orientation.
Students who require only Math 1101 for their major do not have to take the math placement test. To determine if a major requires the math placement test, visit Academic Advisement.
For applicants trying to take an exam for admissions to the college, or to meet a collegiate placement into MATH 1101 or ENGL 1101, please see the ACCUPLACER page.
For more information regarding New Student Orientation, visit New Student Orientation. For more information on the Math Placement exam requirement, contact the University Advisement Center at 404-413-2300 or contact the Mathematics and Statistics Department at 404-413-6400. For information about dates, times and locations, of the exam contact Testing
Registering for the Test
Students must register online for a testing appointment.
To view the available test dates and time via the exam registration system students must:
- Pick a Math Placement exam under Choose an exam type. As we may have Math Placement exams proctored at different locations, there may be multiple Math Placement exams listed. For example Math Placement @ 75 Piedmont is given at the Counseling and Testing Center’s office while Math Placement @ Urban Life MILE will be in the MILE lab in the Urban Life building. The address of the registration will be on the confirmation email.
- Pick Math Placement under Choose an exam.
- Use the Choose a Date and Choose a Time sections to see all of the open dates and times currently available at Atlanta Campus.
Dates and times are added throughout the year to accommodate students’ schedules. After completing the above steps, students may complete a registration for any open date and time by:
- Providing the student’s name and email.
- Reading and acknowledging the guidelines.
- Providing a Phone number and Georgia State University Panther ID Number.
Description of Test
Georgia State University uses the ACCUPLACER exam (designed by the College Board) as a math placement exam to help accurately place students in college math courses. The test administered at Georgia State University may include algebra and trigonometry. The number of areas in which a student will be tested will depend upon the student’s level of ability. All students will take items in the area of algebra. The score on the algebra section will determine if a student takes items in the area of trigonometry. ACCUPLACER provides sample questions and a study app.
There is no test fee for taking the math placement test for the first time. However, students must pay $50 to re-take the math placement test. Students should be charged this when they register online. If the system does not charge them at the time of appointment, payment will be accepted in the form money order only payable to Georgia State University at the time of testing.
- On the day of the test, candidates are to bring either their Panther ID or a non-expired government issued ID with photo.
- Test fee payment of $50 (in the form of money order only) is required if student is retaking the exam and was not charged when making the appointment (see Test Fee section above).
- Scratch paper will be provided at the exam.
- Outside Calculators are not allowed on the test; when math questions require a calculator, the student will be able to access a calculator through the computer.
- No food or drink (including water) is allowed in the testing labs.
- Cell phones and other electronics must be turned off during the entire testing period.
A print-out of the receipt should be brought on test day.
For further information regarding testing or retesting, contact us via our email address or call Richard Walker at 404-413-1736 or LaTrease Myles at 404-413-1963.