A math placement test is used to place students directly into College Algebra (MATH 1111), College Trigonometry (MATH 1112), Precalculus (MATH 1113), Survey of Calculus (MATH 1220), Calculus for the Life Sciences I (MATH 2201), Calculus of One Variable I (MATH 2211) or Discrete Mathematics (MATH 2420). This exam should be taken prior to New Student Orientation.
Please continue to refer to Georgia State University’s COVID-19 site for up to date information from the University.
Testing update (03/17/2021):
On campus testing is available at all campus locations.
All registrations or requests should be done through our campus registration pages at Alpharetta Campus | Atlanta Campus | Clarkston Campus | Decatur Campus | Dunwoody Campus | Newton Campus. Exams are broken into groups and categories, please follow the appropriate exam groups to your exam to register.
Please note the following:
- Masks must be worn at all times. Not only is this required for Georgia State University spaces, due to the nature of proctoring services, and the shape of our spaces, it is impossible to guarantee 6 feet distance at all times from other testers or staff.
- Lockers will still be available, but examinees are highly encouraged to not bring any items to the test center to minimize your need to contact surfaces unnecessarily.
- We are open as an appointment service only. If we schedule tests for a day and no one makes an appointment, we will not open the centers to ensure staff do not add to density on campus.
Regarding Virtual Exams:
- Requests for a virtual test voucher code to launch an exam can be made using the Campus registrations sites listed above, pick “Virtual exams (Online)” instead of “On Campus Exams”
- Please note that virtual appointment request are processed by hand. Requests are processed in the order they are received.
- For ACCUPLACER exams (admissions and Math Placement) proctored through Examity, candidates should check that they meet Examity’s requirements to test. Please note that every exam proctored by Examity has a fee associated with their services. Georgia State University has no control over this.
- Candidates requesting ACCUPLACER testing with Examity should receive one email immediately confirming the request was sent from the RegisterBlast platform. When the request is processed an email from ACCUPLACER with the voucher code used to make an appointment with Examity and to launch the proper exams.
- Problems making an appointment with Examity or with the actual proctoring session should be directed to Examity’s support.
- if you need to retest, please request a new voucher be set up for you.
- There are a limited number of seats available for proctoring virtually through WebEX at Newton Campus.
- For History & Constitution Exams – If you do not have the equipment to complete this exam at home, please email the campus to see about on-campus testing. Note standard proctoring fees will apply for on-campus testing.
Students who require only Math 1101 for their major do not have to take the math placement test. To determine if a major requires the math placement test, visit Academic Advisement.
For applicants trying to take an exam for admissions to the college, or to meet a collegiate placement into MATH 1101 or ENGL 1101, please see the ACCUPLACER page.
For more information regarding New Student Orientation, visit New Student Orientation. For more information on the Math Placement exam requirement, contact the University Advisement Center at 404-413-2300 or contact the Mathematics and Statistics Department at 404-413-6400. For information about dates, times and locations, of the exam contact Testing
Registering for the Test
Students must register online for a testing appointment.
To view the available test dates and time via the exam registration system students must:
- Pick Math Placement exam under Choose an exam type.
- As we may have Math Placement exams proctored at different locations, there may be multiple Math Placement exams listed under Choose an exam.. For example Math Placement @ 75 Piedmont is given at the Counseling and Testing Center’s office while Math Placement @ Urban Life MILE will be in the MILE lab in the Urban Life building. The address of the registration will be on the confirmation email. Students are allowed one Math Placement test without being charged a fee. All retests must be taken using the retest exam that assesses the fee.
- Use the Choose a Date and Choose a Time sections to see all of the open dates and times currently available at Atlanta Campus.
Dates and times are added throughout the year to accommodate students’ schedules. After completing the above steps, students may complete a registration for any open date and time by:
- Providing the student’s name and email.
- Reading and acknowledging the guidelines.
- Providing a Phone number and Georgia State University Panther ID Number.
Description of Test
Georgia State University uses the ACCUPLACER exam (designed by the College Board) as a math placement exam to help accurately place students in college math courses. The test administered at Georgia State University may include algebra and trigonometry. The number of areas in which a student will be tested will depend upon the student’s level of ability. All students will take items in the area of algebra. The score on the algebra section will determine if a student takes items in the area of trigonometry. ACCUPLACER provides sample questions and a study app.
There is no test fee for taking the math placement test for the first time when proctored by Georgia State University. However, students must pay $50 to re-take the math placement test. Students should be charged this when they register online. If the system does not charge them at the time of appointment, see Retaking the Math Placement Test for alternatives.
- On the day of the test, candidates are to bring either their Panther ID or a non-expired government issued ID with photo.
- Test fee payment of $50 (in the form of money order only) is required if student is retaking the exam and was not charged when making the appointment (see Test Fee section above).
- Scratch paper will be provided at the exam.
- Outside Calculators are not allowed on the test; when math questions require a calculator, the student will be able to access a calculator through the computer.
- No food or drink (including water) is allowed in the testing labs.
- Cell phones and other electronics must be turned off during the entire testing period.
A print-out of the receipt should be brought on test day.
For further information regarding testing or retesting, contact us via our email address or call LaTrease Myles at 404-413-1963.